Monsoon has finally arrived, giving us relief from the scorching heat of summer. But the humidity and dampness in the air, may take a toll on your skin and hair.
During Monsoon, people with dry skin can feel itchy and irritated due to the lack of moisture, whereas people with oily skin can face problems like blackheads and pimples, as more oil is secreted by the Sebaceous Glands.
Also, you hair tends to remain moist for a longer time and even after the shower it is difficult to dry them. Wet hair may lead to bad odor, itchy Scalp, dandruff and Hair loss.
Here we present a few important Skin and Hair care tips for Monsoons.
Skin Care Tips:
Dust particles can easily settle and cling onto your skin, so must use a good facial cleanser which is suitable for your skin type and is soap free so as to keep the skin moisturized all the time.
Prefer using an alcohol-free toner as high humidity can open up your pores. Use a toner having the antibacterial agent so as to prevent skin infections and breakouts. If you skin is dry then use a mild toner as the pore size for dry skin is small.
Moisturisation should be an important part of your skin care regime. Those with dry skin should use a non-water-based moisturizer, as dry skin tends to lose more moisture than oily skin. Those with oily skin can go for a water based moisturizer to keep your skin rehydrated.
Also Read: All you need to know about facial skin care
Important Do’s and Don’ts during monsoon:
1. The resistance of our body is reduced during monsoon making you more prone to infections internally and externally. Therefore, take care of what food you eat and water you drink.
2. Eat Healthy protein rich food, include, fruits like apples, pomegranates, and pears. Avoid watery fruits like watermelon and muskmelons because they might cause swelling of the body.
3. Avoid sour and salty foods. Include dry fruits, green and bitter vegetables like bitter gourd as they help to prevent infection.
4. Drink lots of water and consume herbal tea instead of coffee and tea as they have antibacterial properties.
5. Avoid getting wet in the rain for long hours, as it may cause skin infections. Carry your umbrella wherever you go!
6. Avoid heavy makeup in rains; instead opt for light and water- proof makeup.
7. Follow the cleansing, toning, moisturising regime religiously.
8. Waxing, pedicure, and manicure are preferable as help keep your skin and body cleaned and toned.
9. Always wash off your face, hands and feet as soon as you reach your home with lukewarm water. This will make you germ-free and more refreshed.
Also read: The importance of skin exfoliation
Just like you skin, hair too are prone to the fluctuating weather conditions. As discussed above, bad odour, itchy scalp and dandruff are the common hair problems encountered during monsoons.
Follow these tips to prevent hair damage during monsoon:
1. Try and protect your hair from rain water, but it’s near to impossible, so as you reach home wash off your hair using a mild shampoo and let it dry completely. Your hair requires frequent wash during monsoons.
2. Always apply shampoos gently and do not forget to use a conditioner after every wash.
3. Massage your hair with warm coconut oil and comb your hair for the even distribution of oil on your scalp and hair. Use the wide-toothed comb and don’t share combs, it increases the risk of scalp infections.
4. For Itchy scalp and dandruff, apply Neem oil or antidandruff products in combination with conditioners to maintain the natural glossy look of your hair.
5. Hair coloring is not a good idea in this season as it takes very long to wash your hair and dry. Keep it as natural as possible.
6. It is recommended to limit the usage of hair dryers, instead opt for dry towels to remove moisture from your hair.
7. Do not leave your hair open, tie it up in a neat bun and use hair accessories instead, to accentuate your look. Don’t tie your hair when it’s wet.
8. Stay away from using hair sprays, gels and any such hair products.
9. Watch your diet, eat protein rich food and drink plenty of water.
If you found this article helpful, then please share it with your friends. Also, post comments in case you have any queries
Become a VIP
Subscribe to our newsletter to be the first informed of our upcoming launches and special sales!